Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tunbridge World Fair

On Friday, I met up with Emily and Anna after my French class to head to the Tunbridge Fair!

After an eventful pit stop filling Emily's tires with air, we were off! We passed some really beautiful Vermont scenery, but also some of the flood damage from Hurricane Irene. I saw a refrigerator stranded on an island in the middle of a river, and mud had been plowed off the roads like snow. We had brought our rain boots in preparation, but the fair grounds themselves were just a little sandy, and fine for normal shoes.

I've never been to an agricultural fair, so the activities were slightly different than a regular fair or carnival. We watched some cow competitions, and I heard the phrase "beautiful mammary system" way too many times. I had no idea what was going on, or how to judge the cows, but I heard people commenting on each cow very seriously. There were sweet baby cows too, which were my favorite to look at, rather than the cows who were not happy to be on display. Later in the day, we also saw goats (I don't like goats), sheep, and pigs. There was a mother pig with ten babies, but the moment I found out they were all going to market, I began to feel really sad. I'm pretty sure if I had had the option, I would have brought the baby pigs home with me.

We also went on some rides! The Demicco charm (thanks Em!) got Emily and I a free ride (that was too spinny for Anna), and the three of us went on the ferris wheel and the merry-go-round.

We ate lots of fair food, and have difficulty picking from all the choices, and finished the day by watching a tractor pull. We had really specific judging criteria for the tractor pull-- we cheered for the cute boy, and the only woman. We didn't actually know the rules, or the point, until we finally gave up and asked the point. It's sort of confusing to explain without pictures of the event, but it was much easier to watch when we knew it wasn't a race of time, but who could pull things the furthest.

We ended up going back to Emily and Anna's place for a while, having some food, chatting, and watching TV. It was nice to have a relaxing night in after we spent so much time out at the fair before. It was a perfect Friday, and we had great weather (though it IS getting cold!). Thanks for a great day girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment